-->

Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Book Review: Twenty in Paris

Review of: Twenty in Paris: A Young American Perspective of Studying Abroad in Paris

Star Rating: 3.5/5



This book shares with us the untold story of the typical American leaving to study abroad in Europe for the first time as part of a college experience. It covers the journey in minute detail and shares honest opinions captured both during the time abroad and from current reflection.

The main reason I don’t give this book a higher star rating is because its audience is very limited, so it’s not quite possible to claim it as a “must-read” when there’s only a small (in the grand scheme of things) number of people it is a “must-read” for. For the thousands of young Americans studying abroad in Europe, this book truly is a survival tool, as it provides priceless information concerning the technical and emotional aspects of living abroad for the first time. However, its limited examination from a New Yorker traveling to France through an American program doesn’t give a broad enough understanding to be applicable to as many study abroad students as possible. I suspect that Andrea Bouchaud’s second book to soon be published, her personal diary from her time abroad, will be much more comprehensive, in that an emotional journey such as hers can be understood by a wide audience, and not just those who are studying or have studied abroad.

My only other negative comment is that the book was a bit dry. The focus on detail was so strong concerning the technical aspects of moving abroad that the only motivation to get through it was the recounting of the emotional aspects to come. I am also an American who went to France through a student visa, but my experience in getting that visa was almost radically different from my home base of Texas than from her experience in New York. I dare say mine was much more pleasant! I almost wish the book were actually two books, because her technical information is certainly indispensable to some, but not as useful to others.

However, this was generally a satisfying read, as it was both informative and psychologically compelling. Speaking as a young person abroad myself, I know we don’t always do a good job in speaking about our experiences, or at least sharing them with others, so Andrea Bouchaud’s work is invaluable in this way. It was partly the opportunity to share my own story on her blog that inspired me to start talking again about my experiences.


No comments:

Post a Comment