-->

Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Making Habits


I recently finished three 30 day challenges for my 101 in 1001 list, and they have served to instill good habits in me. They were to post on Instagram, to work on duolingo, and to read at least three news articles.

Instagram has been a kind of middle ground between my desire to share pictures from my life and my lack of time to organize full albums on Facebook. This way, I can share beautiful tidbits from abroad, and discover beautiful things from other people as well. My favorites to follow are usually landscape photographers, and this one amazing ballet instagram-er, who pulls images and videos from ballerinas in ordinary locations. I've easily kept up this habit since the goal's end, with the exception of a few days, and I enjoy it greatly.

For duolingo, I wished to instill a habit of practicing my French other than doing my necessary homework, and it was successful, but I've since fallen out of the habit. With a busy schedule and some annoyance with the site, I stopped after the goal's end, but I intend to start it back up.

With news, I have never been an avid reader, but I recognize more and more how irresponsible it is to be an adult and not follow the basic news of the world. I only ever read headlines before, but this goal founded the love of reading the news in me. I now have no hesitation to jump on a news site and scroll through the top news, reading several articles at leisure. I still feel behind, as I don't know the backstory of things currently going on, but I'm working through it.




Therefore, I highly recommend committing to a 30 day goal if there's something you aim to be better at, because it's very effective. Forcing yourself to do it everyday for a month puts you in a positive habit that is easy to continue. I also have several more things I plan to do 30 day goals with, like keeping my inbox clear and not drinking soda. 

Create good habits! I believe in you!




1 comment:

  1. This is great!! It takes 21 days to make something a habit, so 30 days should definitely get it to set in. :) I struggle all the time with 30 day challenges, as you know, so I'm trying to start with one or two easy ones :)

    ReplyDelete