-->

Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Word Wednesdays >> New Vocab

It's pretty late in the day, but here's my Wednesday post:) These are the most essential words that are used every day, with the exception of an interesting type of beetle we saw today.

hop= there/done/voila (pronounced "up") They say this all the time. I couldn't figure out exactly what it meant because they used it for so many things, so I asked and the mom said something like- it doesn't really have a meaning, but it's like voila. Step one to sounding like a native= say "hop" 83242735 times a day. :)

le dodo= sleep (slang) Little Erine loves to plunge into her bed and exclaim, "Gaga, dodo!"

doucement= gently/slowly/quietly. This one is pretty universal for talking to kids! And it was one of the favorite words of my one-time driving teacher (I swear I was not going fast- she was just hyper-sensitive).

un doudou= special stuffed animal. The kids' doudous are small stuffed animals that they carry around with them and sleep with them; they have one or two for the house and one or two to take to school. I'm wondering if the word came from dodo since they are typically things that are slept with.

un gendarme=... normally this is a policeman, but it's also some type of beetle- a stink bug? You tell me!

un mouche= fly (insect) They're a bit of a problem here, particularly when doors/windows are left open during the day. C'est fou!

No comments:

Post a Comment