-->

Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

My View of "Home"

A good friend clued me in last week to a weekly twitter chat hosted by @realityabroad about different aspects of life that concern those who travel or live abroad. Last week's Wednesday chat was about "Home," and while I was too busy to join in the lively discussion, I thought it would be fun to give my responses here. (And this way I can respond in more than 140 characters!) I hope to be available to participate in their future chats!

Q1 Where do you consider home?
     I still ultimately consider Fort Worth to be my home, but the longer I stay abroad, the more I'm starting to see the definition of home change. My idea rested previously on location, but I'm more inclined to think it's more about who is there. There are pros and cons to weigh about Geneva vs. Fort Worth, but it really comes down to the fact that the people closest to me are in Fort Worth/US, and therefore I often feel like a stranger here.


Q2 Describe your favorite place to be in your home.
     In Fort Worth, my favorite place is simply the den, not because that's where the best couches are in front of the TV, but because it's the best place for the family to come together and share good moments. But here in Geneva, my bedroom is always my favorite place because I honestly don't really feel like I belong, and so I seclude myself in my little personalized nest. And when I soon move into my dorm, my bedroom will be my home;)

Q3 What’s the most interesting home you have encountered on your travels?
     There are two homes here that I have found fascinating. One is the quaint cottage of a couple I met last year who grew most of their own vegetables and raised chickens. Their home had that wonderfully warm feeling you get when you walk in a house and can feel that everything was created out of love by the owners and nothing is there just for show. It's that kind of house where you can truly relax and feel at peace.
     Another is the house of the two ladies I stayed with in between jobs last fall, which was decorated with things from all their travels. The majority of it came from one of the lady's long-term stay in Italy, and so with everything together, it was wonderfully colorful and worldly. Everything was exquisite and authentic and generally handmade. And color coordinated by room!

Q4 On your travels, where have you felt most at home?
     That would definitely be in people's homes where they were very accepting and kind. There are several places in my travels, including my travels in Central and South America, which will always stand out in my mind because of the people that welcomed me or the laid-back and friendly atmosphere. It's also nice to simply go out in nature where there aren't any social constraints whatsoever and go for a hike/walk, which I did back in college as well.

Q5 How has traveling changed your view of your home community? 
     I see my home community a bit more limited now, in that I've learned new ways of doing things that I never thought of before. But at the same time, there are things about my community that I appreciate much more after being abroad. I think I wonder the most now why more people don't travel, because of how much it has opened my mind to new things.

Here, you can kinda see four fabrics for decoration,
plus a little cloth.
My magnets, puppets, Swedish-inspired flower band,
a small blanket for decoration, and a Coke ad.
Bonus: What do you take with you that reminds you of home when you travel?
     I have little things that I decorate with to remind me of home. My saris/sarongs and fabrics from all over the world (partly gifts from big sis), Harry Potter finger puppets made by my mom, cards for birthdays and holidays from my parents and a few friends. But as for temporary traveling, I don't really bring anything with me from home unless it serves a purpose, obviously- just for permanent trips. Also for comfort, I watch my favorite movies from my teenage years that bring a great sense of calm to me.

Feel free to leave your own responses in the comments or on Facebook! I'd love to hear from you!



8 comments:

  1. Loved it!!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea,
    Loved hearing your thoughts on home! Isn't it wonderful that home is that special place we carry in our hearts no matter where we are! And it's the people and experiences we embrace that shape that view.

    We're honored that you were inspired by #RATW ~ Reality Abroad Talk Wednesday's topic on "Home". We'd love to have you join anytime you can. When you can't participate, feel free to schedule your answers to post during the chat. Questions are posted each Monday on https://www.facebook.com/RealityAbroad. Please thank Neha for sharing our chat with you!! ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!
      I just finished up this week's chat with yall- great stuff! I'm honored to join the group!

      Delete
  3. This was really fun Chelsea! I feel very similar. Once I got comfortable in Paris I thought of it as home (albeit a temporary one). When I moved to Dallas (not far from you!) from NJ, I was surprised at how quickly Dallas became home but that was also due to the circumstance. I was ready for a move as well as more serious progression with my then boyfriend who became my fiance shortly after my move and is now my hubby :) Dallas is home because of we made a home together whereas in NJ I was single, lived alone and changed apartments about every 2 years. What traveling and living abroad has taught me is that home is definitely where the heart is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I'm really curious to see the different places I end up living in the future and how they compare to the feeling of home!

      Delete
  4. Yea! I'm glad you're able to find uses for them. I have a Tanzania one, but it's also green. I might need to find another color for you or else your future homes will bear a resemblance to the Emerald City!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the furniture in my dorm room is an ugly yellow, so I'm going to have to use them all strategically to cover up as much yellow as I can. But I'm missing my pink, purple, and blue one cuz I had to leave them at home:( Yeah, maybe no more green cuz they already can't lay directly next to each other, but stay in the cool colors for coordination if you find any more for me;)

      Delete