-->

Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Things I Wish I Had Known

If I had been prepared for these things, my time here may have gone smoother. Let this be a word of warning! :)

I wish I had known...

that "Southern hospitality" is not something instilled in people around the world. Be grateful for those who are kind to you, and don't let the others get under your skin.

that even though things may be done differently in Europe, it doesn't mean that it's the right way. And vice versa. Listen to your heart and stick to your well-learned values, whatever they may be.

that immigration bureaucracy isn't so transparent. Check the rules. Again. And again. And one more time.

that your boss has no right to talk down to you just because they're paying you, or even giving you a place to live. You are equal.

that babysitting employers will try to take advantage of low wages 90% of the time. Stick to the ones that are fair; you're not a teenage babysitter and they know better.

that learning a language isn't automatic. Also, the most important aspect is dedication, not time or opportunity.

that my inner voice was right all along. Don't go against your gut.

that a good friend is more important than other worries or cares. Cherish your time with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment